The 2D & 3D Animations refer to the actual dimensions in the computer technology workspace. While 2D Animation has its foundation in the 19th century when folioscope and animated picture books also termed as “flipbooks” were created. This meant that images seemed to change with flip over of all the next pages of the book till the end. This retinal persistence created the illusion of movement when eyes are glued to the simulation actions of a particular animation. It was Walt Disney, the great American producer, Animator, scriptwriter, director who became the pioneer & introduced several enhancements in the Animation industry in the early 19th century.
It’s in 2D Animation that objects or models can be hand-drawn or sketched & moved on X-axis or Y-axis i.e. forward or backward positions & or up or down directions respectively. While in 3D Animation, the objects can be simulated on Z-axis to watch it zoom-in & zoom-out views for a person. But, in 2D Animation, the object or element must be scaled bigger or smaller in size.
The major key differences in 2D & 3D Animation is:
- The parameters of 2 Dimensional Animation are only limited to X & Y axes & merely a flat object like photographs even though 3 Dimensional Animation comprises X, Y & Z axes. X refers to height, Y refers to the width, & Z refers to the depth of the object, character, or device.
- The Geometry of 3D Animation is that the object or device can be moved in cylindrical, spherical, cube, pyramid, prism, or any shape, etc. with flexibility while 2D Animation only considers shapes like rectangle, square, triangle, polygon, etc.
- 2D Animation is widely used in films & cartoon shows, video games, videos, websites, demonstrations & scientific diagram explainers. On the other hand, 3D Animation is extensively applied to effect in 3D animated films, shows & TV ads, video games on workstations, almost all the industries from healthcare & biotechnology, aerospace, education, finance, engineering & manufacturing, design & architecture, automobile, etc.
- The cost of 2D Animation is very reasonable & cost-effective while 3D Animation is even more expensive & rich creation as compared to 2D Animation.
- The formation of 3D Animation simulations is more ultra-realistic & covers the intricacies of the object in focus along with overall background graphics & on contrary, 2D Animation runs on multiple frames & frame rates & doesn’t have a realistic approach to the audience.
- In 3D Animation, the cost is on rendering as the final product of the animation undergoes several steps of transformation such as modeling, texturing, lighting, rigging, rendering, etc. In 2D Animation, the object or character is literally moved with hand drawings frame by frame which is also called a cell-animation method where an action scene has to be created and the tool will generate the motion sequences with the help of 2D Animation software.
- Software used by Animators in 3D Animation Viz. Cinema 4D, Houdini, Autodesk 3Ds Max & or Maya, etc. In contrast, software used in 2D Animation Viz. After Effects, Photoshop & Adobe Flash or Animate, etc.
3D Animation accomplishes over 2D Animation:
- Motion impact: 3D Animation portrays modern & matrix-styled motion effects while animating the object or character as compared to 2D Animation which is accustomed to typical motion type simulations.
- Time saving: 3D Animation is quicker and time-saving whereas 2D Animation is easier to use for hand drawing experts.
- Greater quality & demand: 3D Medical Animation is more real in quality than 2D Animation & therefore 3D simulations are in high demand almost in all sectors.
- Monotonous: 2D Animation can be too boring at times while 3D Animation can also be limited to imaginations to reach up to visualizations.
- Complex: Although the nature of 3D Animation is a more complicated process it is a more effective tool in the market today to boost product promotion & sales of the industry as compared to 2D Animation.
- Visual Appeal: Audience watching your product or device in 3D Animated form & cinematic concept may leave them into jaw-dropping expressions & attract more buyers to your sales whereas 2D Animation is limited up to not so impressive & typical visual perspectives of any product.
In due course, it is the blend of both the techniques 2D & 3D Animation that plays a unique role in various parts of industries to achieve complex breath-taking visuals.